Many of my fellow authors are taking up the popular “Thirty Questions” Challenge to help readers get to know them. I’m taking a bit of a left turn and answering in the voice of my main character, Penny McKenna. Here’s the first fifteen:
1. What did you want to be when you were a kid? A lawyer. I’m curious, analytical and love to argue. Everyone thought it would be a good fit, turned out not so much.
2. Which Friends character do you relate to most? Why? Definitely Monica. She’s a chef and a control freak, like me.
3. Do you like your name? Why? Yes. My given name is Penelope, which I like, because my mother wanted something sophisticated sounding and she’d been told it meant loyal and capable. But I like my nickname, Penny, better, because my father always called me his lucky penny.
4. Are you messy or neat? Neat. When you live on a boat, there’s no other option.
5. When is your birthday? March 17, an Irish Pisces.
6. How tall are you? 5’10”. And yes, I was teased terribly in middle school about it.
7. What color is your hair? Flaming red - goes with my freckles. And made for worse teasing.
8. What are you saving money for now? My next boat. Because there’s always a next boat.
9. How many Pringles can you eat at once? Are you kidding? I'm a chef!
10. Are you an introvert or extrovert? A little of both. I prefer keeping to myself, turning puzzles over in my head. But when circumstances require, such as catching a killer, I’ll ask anyone anything.
11. Who is the last person you kissed? The Captain! 'Nuff said.
12. Opinion on cigarettes? Yuk. They kill your taste buds.
13. What’s your biggest pet peeve? Lack of manners. Were you raised in a barn?
14. What childhood experience shaped you the most? Growing up poor, seeing the different ways haves and have nots were treated. It’s part of the reason I became a lawyer - to me, the rules apply to everyone.
15. Ever been arrested? Well, yes. But I was framed!